Prevention & Wellness
Horizon’s Prevention & Wellness Services works to prevent substance misuse and suicide to promote mental wellness in Central Virginia.
The focus is on providing evidence-based prevention programs, trainings, awareness campaigns and effective strategies to the community. An emphasis is placed on community collaboration and mobilization, enabling groups to work together to address identified needs for benefit of the community. Areas of priority include tobacco & nicotine, over-the-counter drugs, alcohol, marijuana, opiates and methamphetamines.
Horizon also focuses on suicide prevention and creation of trauma-informed, resilient communities.
Evidence Based Prevention Programs & Initiatives
- Too Good for Drugs (an evidence based program) in ninth grade health classes and through the SODA mentoring program.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), Mental Health First Aid, REVIVE Opioid Overdose Response, and Bridges Out of Poverty trainings which includes information on the impact of childhood trauma, helping someone experiencing a mental health problem, responding to an opioid overdose emergency with life-saving Naloxone, and reducing the impact of economic, cultural & societal hurdles.
- Sign up for an upcoming REVIVE Training
- Media Campaigns help to promote healthy life choices by creating a community that is well informed through awareness strategies that connect individuals to local resources.
- Counter Tools program initiative to counteract tobacco product sales to minors.
- Appomattox Addiction & Resiliency Team (AART), Bedford Area Resource Council (BARC), Central Virginia Addiction & Recovery Resources (CVARR), Central Virginia Suicide Prevention & Awareness Coalition (SPA) partnerships aimed at problem solving to address community needs.
- Lock and Talk Suicide Prevention initiative designed to promote safe and responsible care of guns, medication and other lethal means. Medication lock boxes, medication disposal bags, trigger and cable locks for guns are provided to the community at no cost. Click here to find more information about suicide prevention on the Lock & Talk Virginia website.
- Above The High initiative to prevent substance use in Central Virginia. Click here for more information.
Contact the Prevention and Wellness Department
For more information or questions about prevention, please contact Januwaa Davis, Program Manager.